Want to see your energy bill costs lower? Simple energy-smart changes for year-round comfort lower your bills and allow for a greener home.
Here are 11 tips to boost your home's heating efficiency:
1. Replace Filters Replace furnace fan filters every 3 months to help reduce furnace fan energy use
2. Close the Damper Have a lovely fireplace? Cover the flue damper when not in use to avoid air leaks and heat loss.
3. Reverse Rotation In colder months, set ceiling fan blades to run clockwise to help push warm air downward.
4. Get a Tune-Up Have a qualified technician inspect your HVAC system annually to ensure it's running efficiently.
5. Shift Some Use Do laundry in off-peak hours, such as evenings after 7PM, and wash with cold water to save even more.
6. Clean Coils Vacuum your refrigerator's coils to help run it more efficiently and extend compressor life.
7. Seal Air Leaks Caulk, draft proof, and weatherstrip doors and windows to keep warm air from escaping
8. Clear the Way Ensure heating vents are free from furniture, appliances or other objects that can block airflow.
9. Efficient Eats Microwaves, slow cookers, and toaster ovens use up to half the energy of a conventional oven.
10. Early Off Turn the oven off 10-15 minutes before you are done cooking - food will continue to cook.
11. Set it & Forget It Install a programmable or smart thermometer to help reduce heating costs automatically. (Check the hydro One website as they frequently offer rebates or deals for these)